Friday 13 November 2020

Freedom Vs Security

 I've had a few conversations over the last couple of weeks about the big decision I made last year to leave the security of my job in the bank, to go it alone and start a new business (and that was before COVID reared it's ugly head).

At the time I would have said it was all down to my mental health and what was best for that. Now, looking back, I can also see it was about freedom and not being part of the corporate world anymore. Recently, I heard someone say that you have to give up a level of security to get freedom and that really resonates with me. There is no point in staying in a job that makes you miserable just for your monthly pay cheque and a few benefits.

Trust me, I have learned over the last year that money isn't everything. Don't get me wrong, it certainly makes life easier, but when I had that security I couldn't be me. I was enveloped in a toxic environment and I didn't like the person I had become.

So, yes I miss the money and being able to buy what I want. But I don't miss the cliques, the back-biting and one up man ship, the fact that I was just a staff number, the uniform, some of the rules and regulations, the way different departments were treated better than the frontline staff, the targets (wrapped up in the word goals) and so many more things.

However, I am very grateful for the private healthcare when I had to have operations and treatments, the sick pay, the pension and my colleagues who covered my jobs (without complaining) when I was too ill to do so.

If it wasn't for my time at the bank I would never have met Gary and got married and live in my lovely house with our cats. I wouldn't have met my closest friends who support me and make me howl with laughter on a daily basis. My brother wouldn't have met my sister-in-law and therefore I wouldn't have my 3 amazing nieces. 

I wouldn't change my past, but it was up to me to change my future. So I did and I am now free to be me!




No comments:

Post a Comment