Monday 3 August 2020

DIET is a four letter word.

I've spoken before about being diagnosed with Disordered Eating when I was in my mid-20's. And the whole situation with the Government tackling Obesity in the UK has brought it all back to me again.

I was teased as a kid for being fat - I wasn't fat.

I started my first diet when I was 12 because I thought I was fat - I wasn't fat.

I went on my first holiday abroad when I was 15 and wouldn't wear a bikini because I thought I was fat - I wasn't fat.

When I was 19 I was a size 12, yet still thought I was fat - I wasn't fat.

And so the cycle of yo-yo dieting continued and I tried them all:
The Hip and Thigh Diet
Slimming World - several times
Weight Watchers - several times
The 5:2 diet - made me cranky
Herballife - I hate milkshakes
Arbonne - I still hate milkshakes
The 16:8 diet
No carbs/high protein
The list goes on.

What I have realised is that yes these diets may work for the short term, but if you stray and go back to your old eating habits then the weight piles back on and then some!

So it's ok for Boris to give us £50 to fix our bikes or prescribe 12 weeks on Slimming World, but shouldn't he be tackling the reasons why some people are obese? Their mental health maybe?

If it was as easy as getting weighed in the local community centre every week and giving Beryl a clap because she's put on another pound, then surely there wouldn't be an 'obesity problem'.

As soon as a diet is mentioned to me and I am told I can't have something, it just makes me want it more. I'm not entirely stupid, I know I need to eat less and move more... simple right?

So now I am 49 and I think I am fat - I am fat! I am also short, kind, funny, reliable, loyal and loving.

Does being fate make me less of a person? NO!
Does it make me worthless? NO!
Does it make me a bad wife, daughter, sister, aunty, niece or friend? NO!
Does it make me lazy? SOMETIMES!
Does it make me think that people judge me because I'm fat? YES!

Why are we like that? Why can't we look at each other and think nice things instead of bringing each other down?

I am Lynne
I am 49
I am fat

Deal with it.....


No comments:

Post a Comment