Sunday 17 March 2019

Therapy Thursday - A.C.T

For my second therapy session I had quite a bit to get off my chest after not having the best time over the previous weekend (let's just say there was a lot of ugly crying and snot going on). When my rant was over my therapist explained that we would be going through A.C.T which is Acceptance and Commitment therapy. This is split into three categories: Mindfulness, Acceptance and Values. We were going to concentrate on mindfulness in this session.
I made myself comfortable in the chair with my feet on the floor (this helps you to feel grounded), I shut my eyes and just listened to my therapist's voice. His soothing tones said to be aware of my surroundings, the sounds, the feeling of the chair, the taste in my mouth, the smell of the room. I may have other thoughts going on or my mind may wander, this is perfectly ok. Now I was to take notice of my breathing, how every time my lungs fill with air I then breathe out and they are empty and I don't even have to try. And all the time his calming voice is saying that it's ok for my mind to wander, just come back to my breathing...in and out....in and out.
After some time (I've no idea how long as I could quite have easily fallen asleep) I heard him say for me to start being aware of the sounds, the feel, the smell and the taste and then to open my eyes and take in my surroundings.
Although this isn't supposed to be a relaxation technique, you don't have to close your eyes, it is a mindfulness technique, I did feel relaxed and if I had been lying down I'm pretty sure I would have dropped off to sleep.
One of the analogies he gave me was to see my anxious/negative thoughts as leaves on a stream, acknowledge they are there but don't pick them out of the stream, just let then float by.
Apparently the part of my brain where anxiety is (our fight or flight mode if you like) is in overdrive and the part where my self confidence is he likened to a weak, spindly muscle in need of a bootcamp session. So that is what we will work on next time.
I have been on holiday this week and my therapist is next week, so no Therapy Thursday for 3 weeks.
I'm thinking of doing my next post on travelling abroad when you suffer with anxiety?
Watch this space.....

No comments:

Post a Comment