Saturday 16 February 2019

Compassion Focused Therapy

After a phone call with my Occupational Health nurse, a lengthy telephone assessment with a counsellor and a telephone consultation with an independent doctor, it has been suggested that I have 14 sessions of Compassion Focused therapy.
Now I have never heard of this sort of therapy so had to Google it, as the next phone call I get about my treatment will be from the therapist who will be treating me and I'd like to know a bit about it first.
Apparently CFT is used to treat problems associated with shame, self-criticism and self-hate, which can be features of anxiety and depression. It helps people develop and work with experiences of inner warmth, safeness and soothing, via compassion and self-compassion.
The thing that has struck me about this is that I've always thought of myself as a compassionate person towards others and I'm pretty sure my friends and family would agree. OK, so I might be hard on myself and could give myself a break now and again, but with other people I am always there to lend an ear, or a shoulder and give a hug.
So I'm intrigued as to how this therapy is going to go and, of course I'm feeling anxious about it. I'll let you know how it goes....

No comments:

Post a Comment